QUOTE OF THE DAY: “Mummy, Daddy is the roots, you are the trunk and we are the fruit! God must be the soil!” = Sunshine while making our Family Hand Tree
RESOURCE OF THE DAY: The Story of the World Volume 1: Ancient Times
Day 3: Making a Family Hand Tree
(the children’s real names are on the original :))
1. Each person in the family had their hand traced… can be tricky with babies 🙂
2. We joined two 12×12 scrapbook squares together, one blue and one green, cutting a grassy edge on the green.
3. Master Luke then cut out some white clouds and glued them in the sky.
4. Sunshine helped me trace around and cut out the hands in their different colours
– brown for mum and dad
– autumn colours for the kids (we are loving the changing seasons!!)
5. The hands were then glued on and names written 🙂
The introduction to this Volume is all about “What is History?”. I didn’t realise just how hard it is for little people, in particular, to understand this question. The book reads well out loud and this little exercise (that I came up with over breakfast… last minute ideas are often the most creative :))… helped them to firmly set in concrete our own family unit, before tackling the past!
Sunshine’s quote from before shows you how much can be read into something so simple! We had a great discussion about the spiritual roots of our family, and how mummy and daddy need to stay strongly united and rely on God for our family to be healthy 🙂 It helps having a deep, pensive child at times!! 🙂
We started looking at our Green family history before lunch… but more time and a printer that works is needed for that! 🙂
Keep an eye out on my new Home School Resource page… it will be developing as time allows! 🙂